Wednesday 10 April 2013

Lauren's Cold Survival Guide

I write to you from my sick bed. In typical Lauren fashion I have managed to survive over 6 months of winter without catching a single cold. But the minute, nay the second we get some much longed for sunshine and I am struck down with a cold. How annoying!


So I thought while I have some time off work I would share my tips on how I make myself feel better when frankly I feel like I have been chewed up and spat out by a mean giant, I look like it too, hating this!


How I Met Your Mother - Yes I have seen every episode like a million times and I still don't know who the mother is, which kind of drives me crazy but I love it so much that I almost don't want Ted to meet the mother because then it's over and I don't want it to be over. I love Lily and Marshall. I love MacLarens. I love New York. I just love HIMYM. Also from season 3 onwards Ted gets super hot!  Plus because I have seen it like a million times I can happily doze off and know exactly where I am when I wake up. That I think is vitally important with sick day viewing. I will also be watching a lot of Glee, New Girl and The Mindy Project until I have fully recovered. Which I hope will be soon!


Rescue Oil - Rescue Oil is a dupe of Bio Oil and literally the ONLY difference is about £8 in price. Now normally Rescue Oil is used for stretch marks and scars but I have been putting it on my nose to stop redness and chaffing and it is absolutely fabulous. I'm not going to show you a picture of my nose because I am not looking my best but trust me if  I wasn't using Rescue Oil people would be thinking that I was doing my best Rudolph impression and despite the never ending winter that seems to be (finally) ending (AT LAST!) Christmas is a long way off..  


Olay Beauty Fluid - When I'm sick my skin gets so dried out and horrible. I have been slathering this on every couple of hours and it just makes me feel better. My skin is literally drinking the stuff and it smells lovely.


The Body Shop Deep Sleep Dreamy Pillow & Body Mist -Even though I have a severely blocked nose at the moment when I can breathe this pillow mist has the most deliciously soothing smell of jujubes (no I don't know what they are either) and camomile which sends me straight to sleep. I use it every night but I have been using it during the day so I can get some extra shut eye.


Eucalyptus Oil - This clears a blocked nose and should really be higher up on my list. Without it I would not be able to breathe. I have been putting a couple of drops into a cup of boiling water and breathing in the steam to clear my sinuses. The steam also makes my skin feel awesome and it's nice to be able to breathe through my nose.


Bayliss & Harding Moroccan Rose Body Milk - Normally I prefer showers to baths because I don't normally have the time but because I'm sick I am making luxurious hot bubble baths a daily thing until I'm better. Bayliss & Harding Moroccan Rose Bath Milk is amazing. It smells like what I imagine love smells like and makes the most amazing, frothy bubbles. It just makes me happy.


Cold Relief, Kleenex & My Basic Cold Survival Kit - I have been knocking back this knock off Lemsip to the point where I may have overdosed on it, that was fun couple of hours. And I have been using more Kleenex than I knew was possible. Colds are just the worst. I have also been taking a hot water bottle to bed in the hopes that I can sweat it out. Hot water bottles are the best. I am also drinking/eating lots of chicken soup and orange juice.



Knitting - I know, I know I'm a crazy cat lady in the making but I love knitting. It's relaxing and it makes me happy. At the moment I'm working on scarves for some of my friends and it's much nicer to have something to focus on other than feeling sorry for myself.


My Kindle - I love to read and all my favourite books are on my kindle. My kindle is one of my favourite things under normal, healthy circumstances. When I'm sick my love for my kindle increase exponentially. I'm currently re-reading The Girl In Times Square which is my favouritest book in the world. Plus kindles are really light so if I fall asleep whilst reading and drop my kindle on my face I don't wake up with a black eye, which has happened before. It was a Harry Potter book.



Funny Girl/ The Avengers - These movies have absolutely nothing in common. One tells the story of Fanny Bryce and her love for the infamous (and gorgeous) Nick Arnstein with some of the most beautiful songs ever written check out my favourites here, here & here.  And the other is The fricking Avengers featuring my favourite super hero of all time Iron Man, who coincidentally is played by my favourite actor of all time Robert Downey Jr, plus The Avengers also has Tom Hiddleston as Loki and I also love Tom Hiddleston, like a lot! So yeah these films have virtually nothing in common. In fact the only thing they do have in common is me and they are my favouite films to watch when I'm ill and when I'm not ill. Let's just say I watch them both a lot. A LOT!


Theodore J. Bear (Ted/Teddy) - Whilst I am curled up in bed feeling awful and wishing I was cuddled up wth Ted from HIMYM I am usually cuddled up with Theodore J. Bear or Ted. I have had him since I was really little and yes that is the name I gave him when I was 5. Sometimes, especially when you're ill, you just need a cuddle from an old friend and what's more Ted can't catch the cold off me!


That's it for today, I'm going to dose up on knock off Lemsip and have a snooze with Theodore J. Bear.

What makes you lot feel better when you're not feeling your best?

Until next time (when I'm better hopefully, fingers crossed)please check me out on twitter, facebook, BlogLovin, instagram & pinterest.

Lots of love xxxx








No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest pins