Sunday 21 July 2013

I am my hair!

I have been planning this post for a while. In previous posts I have briefly touched on my hair and how I both love and hate it. Well I had my iPod on shuffle the other day when Hair by Lady Gaga came on. For those of you who don't know the song is about...well hair funnily enough but not just that, it's about how a girl's hair can be so intrinsically linked with her identity. Now I think we can all agree that Lady Gaga is very wise. Hair is so important to a girl is it not?

For me my hair is a source of both love and hate. When it behaves - and this is a rarity - I adore my hair. BUT when it doesn't - which is a far more regular occurrence - I hate it. So much so that sometimes all I want to do is take a pair of scissors to it. Not that I ever would because I could not pull off a pixie cut and the idea whilst tempting at times is more than a little bit mental.

My hair behaving itself!

Anyway my hair is difficult to tame, it spirals out of my head in mad strawberry coloured curls and when it is hot it has a tendancy to frizz out beyond any measure of control and fill me with loathing at the sight of it. It also costs an absolute fortune to maintain - somewhere in the region of £30-£40 per month! Ouch! - But you know what that's ok. In fact it is more than ok. Because it's my hair and it makes me different. I know hair should not be such a defining feature but it is for me.


I honestly believe hair can really affect the way a person thinks and feels about themselves. I'll give you an example: my natural hair colour is a sad mousy brown colour, I think if depression had a colour it would be my natural hair colour. Anyway before I had the courage to start experimenting with different hair colours I felt ... invisible. No one could see me. Now just before I started university I decided to change my hair colour, I decided to go blonde. I have been blonde before and had lots of normal highlights before. But this...to say it was awful is a huge understatement.



I had wanted a pretty honey colour what I got was toxic orange. It took my step-mum (who is as an actual hairdresser) putting a lot of highlights through my hair to change the colour from toxic orange to an incredibly brassy blond (see above). Even though I hated my hair that colour when I later put brown over it, I felt like I completely disappeared.


Whilst I didn't hate my hair this colour I felt like such a Plain Jane. Like I blended into the background, and I really hated that feeling. At least when my hair was that rather vicious shade of yellow I was visible. So then to red and as soon as I had dried my hair and I saw the awesomeness that was now my hair colour I realised I had found.... the one.

(I think we can all agree that red was the right decision.)

You'll notice that in two of these pictures my hair is straightened into submission and another one it has been curled, I only have one picture of what my hair is like now -the top one - but it has taken a really, really long time for me to accept my hair for all of it's wonderful, frizzy madness and Lady Gaga I could not have done it without you.

Yes my hair is wild and totally uncontrollable and a force to be reckoned with. But so am I!

So in the words of the wonderful Lady Gaga..."I'M MY HAIR YEAH YEAH YEAH!"

Until next time my lovely readers you can find and follow me on twitterfacebook, BlogLovin, instagram & Pinterest.


Love love love xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest pins