Monday 17 February 2014

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns): A Review

I've been looking to expand my blog into other areas as I'm on a no new make up ban until April. So far it's going well but unfortunately that means my main source of inspiration is currently in short supply.

I absolutely adore reading, always have done. According to my mum I taught myself to read when I was 3 (I don't know how true this is) even now I love nothing more than curling up and losing myself in a really good book, particularly when it's raining or cold outside.  I recently read and loved Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling and I thought I would review it for you lovely lot.


 As a third year English student I spend most of my time reading however I usually don't have the time to read something I actually want to read rather than something I have to for my degree. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) -hereafter referred to as IEHOWM - is the first book in a long time that I've read purely because I wanted to.


IEHOWM is a memoir interspersed with observational essays, detailing Mindy's life from a geeky yet adorable child, to working as a babysitter in New York and then finally to landing her dream job as a writer on the brilliant and hilariously funny US adaptation of The Office. Usually I am not a fan of autobiographies, much preferring to lose myself in a fictional word where children are forced to fight to the death (I realise that sentence makes me look like a psycho) or a boy wizard who has the fate of the magical world on his shoulders. Having said that I utterly adored it, Mindy's book was both hilarious and utterly absorbing. I could not and did not put it down.

I love Mindy, I'm a huge fan of both The Mindy Project and The Office (US) so I'm not even a little bit surprised that I thoroughly enjoyed her book. The thing I love most about Mindy is that she knows who she is and is completely unashamed of that fact. This comes through in her writing and I adored it. A self confessed "vain flake" Mindy comes across as both funny and honest, making the book like a conversation with your best friend where neither of you can stop laughing.

Obviously I loved finding more about Mindy, (she's my spirit animal, her and Jennifer Lawrence), but what I really loved about this book was the random lists, I am the kind of person who makes lists for everything in life. My To Do List has it's own To Do List (would that be a To Do To Do List?). I particularly loved Best Friend Rights and Responsibilities and Types of Women in Romantic Comedies Who Aren't Real. Both were hilarious and accurate. In fact I found myself saying "it's funny cause it's true" whilst giggling more times than I can count throughout the course of this book.

My absolute favourite part though was entitled When You're Not Skinny This Is What People Want You To Wear. As a fellow not skinny girl I know how awful it is when people pick out clothes that they think you should wear, I'll give you an example for Christmas my size 8 sister bought me, among other things, crop tops. I'll say that again crop tops and that's plural, as in more than one . I would not be seen dead in a crop top for a lot of reasons and can't even begin to fathom why she bought them for me. Oh we'll it's the thought that counts. Anyway...
  
I thoroughly recommend this book for anyone who wants to have a giggle with one of the funniest ladies in comedy. I loved it.

Until next time lovelies check out my twitter, facebook, Bloglovin, instagram & pinterest


Love love love xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest pins