Wednesday 9 July 2014

The Fault In Our Stars: A Movie Review



(Picture courtesy of thefaultinourstarsmovie.com...how adorable is Gus/Ansel Elgort's face?! Seriously!)
Before we get started this review contains spoilers! You have been warned! I saw The Fault in Our Stars on Thursday and I thought I had to review it for you guys. Since I first read this book (I've read it 5 times and am now on my 6th) I, and the rest of the world, have been obsessed with The Fault in Our Stars. Because I loved it so much I was a teeny bit skeptical when I heard this was being made into a movie. How on earth could a movie capture the magic of this book? - It totally managed it by the way- That's the problem with film adaptations they can't please everybody. Particularly when it's an adaptation of such a beloved book. Some fans were bound to be disappointed with the movie but I am happy to report that I was not one of them. 



To say that I loved this movie is a HUGE understatement. It. Is. Amazing! It stays true to the story without being cheesy. It has a kickass soundtrack (more about that later) and it manages to achieve the perfect balance between hilariously funny and heartbreakingly sad. I will definitely be buying the dvd, in fact I can't wait for it to come out. I was really worried about the casting of Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort (because I have too much time on my hands) but they were absolutely perfect. When I initially saw that Ansel Elgort had been cast I was a bit dubious for 3 reasons. 1. I hadn't really heard of him before so I didn't know if he was capable of stepping into the impressive shoes of Augustus Waters. 2. Nat Woolfe, who was in contention for the role of Gus before taking on the role of Isaac (above middle), was closer to how I imagined Gus and 3. He had played opposite Shailene Woodley in Divergent AS HER BROTHER and because of this I didn't think they would have the right chemistry. How very wrong I was on all counts. Ansel Elgort was GLORIOUS as the beautifully tragic Augustus Waters. As for Shailene Woodley, despite being very confused about what feminism actually is, she was pretty amazing and exactly the way I'd pictured Hazel. As for the chemistry between the two of them... 

(Picture courtesy of thefaultinourstars.wikia.com)

I think this picture says it all! I mean seriously? Who looked at these two and thought hmm they'd be good as brother and sister? They're even adorable together in real life. I'm totally shipping Ansel and Shailene/Gus and Hazel, yeah we're on a first name basis, but they aren't the only amazing cast members Nat Woolfe was brilliant as the tortured and blind Isaac, particularly in the trophy smashing scene which was both very funny and incredibly poignant. Of course Willem Defoe was excellent (obviously) as the embittered, alcoholic and borderline insane Peter Van Houten. The lady from Jurassic Park (Laura Dern) and Sam (Sam Trammell) from True Blood were also really good as Hazel's parents. All in all the casting was top notch, yeah I just said top notch non-ironically, not ashamed. 

(Picture courtesy of thefaultinourstarsmovie.com) 


Not only was the casting excellent and the film very well acted but the soundtrack is marvellous. It's no secret that I am something of a music lover and a major film fan. But what I love the most are films with amazing soundtrack. TFIOS definitely meets this criteria. I downloaded the soundtrack pretty much immediately after I saw the film and then completely forgot about it. Then the other morning on my way to work I came across No One Ever Loved by Lykke Li and was hooked. Since then I have listened to the album repeatedly and it is awesome. My favourite songs are Simple As This by Jake Bugg, No One Ever Loved by Lykke Li and Wait by M83.  Having said that there isn't one song on the soundtrack  that I don't like. 

This film was superbly executed, look at me I've gone all posh now! I can definitely see it becoming a firm favourite. I loved it, I thought it was fantastic and I can't wait to see it again! And spend the last hour weeping until my top is soaking wet and my make up has been wept into oblivion. 

Have you seen TFIOS yet? What did you think? Did you love it? I did! Let me know I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

Right I'm off to sleep now because I have work in the morning (BOO!) but will be back tomorrow with this week's 2 Stars & A Wish - it's the 6th one I'm so proud! - Until then I am on every possible social media site, and some impossible ones too (facebook anyone?). Check me out on twitter, facebook, BlogLovin, instagram & pinterest for your daily fix of Me...I know no one really needs one of those but it's nice to have the option. Anywho nighty night!

Love love love xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest pins