Monday 18 May 2015

The Last Five Years: Movie Review

 


I was going to wait to talk about The Last Five Years until my May Favourites - where it will definitely be making an appearance! - but it's so amazing that I just couldn't wait. A musical obsessed friend of mine was pestering me to watch this for the longest time but I just never got round to it and then I saw the dvd in Asda on my lunch break and it was pretty much a no brainer. Anna Kendrick in a musical? Obviously I was going to love it!

Starring Queen of Everything/Every Woman's Girl Crush Anna Kendrick (all the hearteyed emojis! Seriously ALL of them!) as struggling actress Cathy Hiatt and Broadway Baby/Smash Alumn Jeremy Jordan (more hearteyed emojis) as aspiring writer Jamie Wellerstein, The Last Five Years follows Cathy and Jamie's relationship from the dizzying early days to their struggle as it ends. Cathy's songs begin at the end of their relationship and work backwards with Jamie's songs starting from the beginning of their story. The format of the musical is quite strange because it's constantly jumping from the beginning of their relationship to the end until they meet in the middle but I think this is part of the reason it's so good because it gives you both points of view. Another strange but good thing is that despite the fact that Cathy and Jamie are nearly always together they only sing together once, but it's so lovely when they do. was in absolute bits by the end of the film, I cry at everything, but I think this film would melt the heart of even the stoniest of musical haters,  I just couldn't understand why they weren't together! I knew why but it just didn't make any sense to me! What can I say? I'm a hopeless romantic 'till the end (read more about that here, here & here)


As you can probably tell I absolutely loved this film. I was annoyed with myself for not watching it sooner, that's how good it is! Seriously! I don't have a bad word to say about it. The story is wonderful and happy and sad all at the same time. Jeremy Jordan is incredible, Anna Kendrick is even more so and the two of them have such amazing chemistry! Everything about it is awesome! It is shot so beautifully with some amazing shots of New York - all the heart eyed emojis! Side note: has the world ran out of hearteyed emojis yet? Because I keep using them all! - Anna Kendrick rocks some seriously amazing vintage clothes and the soundtrack is BEAUTIFUL! I'm obsessed with it, I downloaded it the second the film ended and have been listening to it constantly ever since and `yes before you ask I am listening to it right now. Overall it's a really amazing and sadly underrated film I love it!

If you haven't seen it then check out the trailer below.


Have you seen The Last Five Years? What did you think? Did you love it? Did you not? Let me know on twitter, by commenting below or even dropping me an email at lolarocknroses@gmail.com. Also check out my instagram. facebook, bloglovin, pinterest & snapchat - my username is lolarocknroses - for daily updates.

Sorry this was late, it was supposed to go up yesterday but I've got a lot of stuff going on at the moment - 2 assignments, a presentation for my dissertation, my brother's wedding, actual work... the list is endless - so I will be blogging as much as I can but some days will be missed because sometimes it's just unavoidable.

I'll be back on Tuesday if uni work permits.

Until then

Love love love xxx

*Disclaimer* I own none of the media - images/videos - used in this post, media used for entertainment purposes only. Images ViaVia



No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest pins