Saturday 24 September 2016

My High End Lipstick Collection




L-R: MAC Mehr, Estée Lauder Restless, MAC D for Danger, YSL Corail A Porter, MAC Girl About Town, Charlotte Tilbury Secret Salma, MAC Brave Red

Before we get into the nitty gritty of my high end lipstick collection I just wanted to quickly apologise for the lack of posts over the past week. Life's been really hectic, I feel like I haven't had the chance to stop and catch my breath lately, but I also can't tell you what I've achieved because it feels like nothing. I'm also really irritated that I've failed one of my September Goals. Grrrr! Anyway now that that's off my chest lets chat about some fancy pants lippie.

So my lipstick collection is spread out between two drawers and an empty Glossy Box - I wish I was joking - but most of them can be found in Boots and Superdrug for less than a tenner. In fact I only have 7 high end lipsticks, which yeah does sound like a lot, but not when you consider the sheer size of the rest of my lipstick collection. I haven't counted, I'm not up to the challenge. Anyway...

MAC Matte Lipstick in Mehr - £15.50 from MAC

AKA my favourite lipstick. As a life long bold, usually red, lipstick lover I'm as shocked as anyone that my actual favourite lipstick is this plummy nude. It's my go to everyday lipstick and I've worn it so much that there's really no competition. The formulation is incredible. It's long lasting, creamy, comfortable to wear and vanilla scented, which is pretty much everything I want in a matte lipstick. It isn't particularly drying, but can be if you haven't prepped properly. Lip balm, and lots of it, about 15 minutes before applying is key. Other than that it's amazing.

Estée Lauder Kendall J Pure Color Envy Matte Sculpting Lipstick in Restless - no longer available, Estée Lauder's Volatile is very similar and available here

This neon red orange hybrid is probably my least used lipstick ever. I've worn it once while I took photos for a blog post (read it here). It was an online exclusive so I couldn't swatch it to see whether it would suit me, I decided to risk it anyway and it didn't pay off. It doesn't suit me at all. Still, I can't bring myself to part with it because it was so expensive and it is gorgeous. Just not on me. Restless is very yellow toned whereas my complexion is cool toned, blue tones suit my skin type much better, yellow tones tend to make my skin look sallow and my teeth look yellow. That's really not a good look for anyone. It does have an incredible formulation, it's creamy and pigmented with really good wear time. It's also not drying and it smells incredible. It was a complete waste of money though, because I don't use it. At all.

MAC Matte Lipstick in D for Danger - £15.50 from MAC

D for Danger is one seriously beautiful berry lipstick, you guys know how much I love a berry lip! The formula for this is very similar to Mehr, but it's not quite as long lasting, as it's a little bit creamier, it also has the slightest tendency to bleed into the lip line. Nothing a bit of lip liner can't fix. It still lasts ages and smells incredible. But it's the colour that makes this really special. It's a deep, autumnal berry that looks stunning on, while being surprisingly wearable. It makes me feel like a total bad ass when I wear it. I love it.

YSL Rouge Volupté Shine in 41 Corail Á Porter - £26 from YSL

This is the prettiest lipstick in all the land. Let's all just take a moment to gaze lovingly at that dreamy gold and pink enamel packaging... okay I'm back. This is the most expensive lipstick I own, the price tag is eye watering! So much so that I closed my eyes when I bought it and then pretended it didn't happen. If we're talking about cost per wear then its been worth it because I've worn it a ton, but £26 for a lipstick is ridiculous. Are you listening YSL? Ridiculous! But it is beautiful! It's a shimmery, peach scented, pinky coral with a glossy finish. It has amazing pigmentation, the colour pay off is on point and it's very moisturising, with a texture closer to that of a lip balm than a lipstick. This does mean that it has a lot of slip to it, so it doesn't stick around when your eating/drinking, but it's lovely, especially in the summertime.

MAC Amplified Creme Lipstick in Girl About Town - £15.50 from MAC

Girl About Town holds a special place in my heart as it's the first MAC lipstick that made it's way into my heart and then my basket. A bright and bold raspberry pink, the colour is intense and ridiculously beautiful. It's an Amplified Creme finish, so isn't the most long lasting as it's really creamy, but it does have excellent wear time for a non-matte lipstick, it's incredibly pigmented and fades into an even stain. I really love this lipstick.

Charlotte Tilbury Hot Lips Matte Revolution Lipstick in Secret Salma - £23 from Charlotte Tilbury

I haven't really had time to form an opinion on the actual performance of this lipstick because I bought it on Wednesday. Me and my bestie were in Covent Garden and went into Charlotte Tilbury specifically so I could get Liv It Up. But after swatching Secret Salma I had a change of heart. Secret Salma is named for Salma Hayek as part of Tilbury's Hot Lips charity collection. Hot Lips is a range of 16 lipsticks: 4 best sellers and 12 brand new shades, named for the famous women who inspired them, with a percentage of the proceeds being donated to Women for Women. Secret Salma is one of the darker shades, a very autumn appropriate rosy plum. The colour is absolutely beautiful, and I can attest. from swatching, that the wear time is good. I swatched it on my arm two days ago and  it's still visible! And that rose gold packaging though! Droolworthy!

MAC Cremesheen Lipstick in Brave Red - £15.50 from MAC

No lip wardrobe is complete without a classic red, and that's exactly what MAC's Brave Red is. A bold pillar box red with a highly moisturising, cremesheen finish. The wear time on this isn't great, so lip liner is a must if you're wanting it to last, but it's so comfortable to wear and feels really nourishing. Brave Red is yellow toned but is surprisingly flattering against my skin type, *cough* unlike some other expensive lipsticks I could mention.

What are your favourite high end lippies? Any recommendations? Let me know by commenting below - I always reply so check back -, on twitter, or dropping me an email at lolarocknroses@gmail.com. Also check out my instagramfacebookbloglovin', snapchat -search lolarocknroses - & pinterest for regular updates.

Love love love xxx

1 comment:

Latest pins